New Vacancies as of March 11 2020
Deadline 20th March 2020 : Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Castlecomer Discovery Park is a multi-activity, award-winning adventure park in Co. Kilkenny operating as a not-for-profit social enterprise. The organisation welcomes over 144,000 visitors annually. The Park oﬀers a variety of outdoor activities to visitors, including boating and canoeing, orienteering, archery, a tree-top walk, a high-ropes Octagon course, Ireland’s longest zip-line and a junior play area.
To manage the range of adventure activities and seasonal events at Castlecomer Discovery Park including activity instructors. The role requires planning, development, coordination, evaluation, budgeting and reporting on activities and events to maximise revenue. We are looking for a dynamic person that is passionate about adventure, can manage the day to day operations with a constant eye on developing the product.
TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Planning, development and coordination of the outdoor activity programme and events to maximise the outdoor earnings potential
- Development of budget for all activities and performance
- Maximisation of all outdoor facilities to increase earning potential
- Responsible for maintenance and monitoring of the high ropes courses
- Responsible for ensuring proper working order of Outdoor Activity equipment, including certification, monitoring and maintenance schedules
- Responsibility for implementing and maintaining all Health & Safety legislation in relation to activities
- Involved with recruitment and development of Outdoor Activity Instructor team
- Maintain staff HR files for instructor staff
- Generate staff rosters and weekly checking of same
- Develop staff through continuation training and Career Development courses
- Supporting the General Manager in the design of training courses, logistical issues and new activities
- Supporting the General Manager in the smooth running of the business and responding analytically and creatively to opportunities and challenges
- Day to day administration and record keeping for all activities, equipment and events
- Development of Recreation strategy in collaboration with Education Officer
- Collaboration with Education Officer for development of Education strategy
- Set example to all staff to lead and instruct individuals or groups in various activities organised by Castlecomer Discovery Park
- To operate all activities according to the required operational standards and best practice set out to all staff in the Operating Procedures Manuals
- To prepare, update and distribute Activity Operating Procedures to relevant staff
- To be responsible for the safety, instruction, supervision and enjoyment of those in the instructors’ care.
- Direct marketing to initiate, build and develop connections with relevant target groups
- Monitor and act on relevant complaint logs and incident reports
- Planning, development and operation of outdoor events
- To coordinate seasonal events to progress sales including our significant Christmas event
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills
HEALTH & SAFETY:
Comply with Safety Statement at all times, and in accordance with company procedures and training.
- Training and certification in areas of High Ropes Courses, Kayaking, Canoeing, Single Pitch Award, Mountain Leader or similar
- Occupational First Aid Course, Remote Emergency Care (or equivalent)
- Manual Handling
- Child Protection Course
- Garda Vetting required
- Able to physically complete activities in competent manner
- Experience of working and maintaining high ropes courses
- Good IT skills (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Time management and organisational skills
- Customer service skills
- People management skills
- Fluent use of English language
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work in high risk environment including extreme sports
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Demonstrate initiative skills
- Contribute effectively to the company’s social media platforms
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Normal working week will be 5 days between Monday to Sunday with occasional evening work as required.
Castlecomer Discovery Park is a multi-activity, award-winning adventure park in Co. Kilkenny operating as a not-for-profit social enterprise. The organisation welcomes over 144,000 visitors annually. It has a highly successful school education and adventure programme, welcoming in excess of 11,000 students annually across Primary, Secondary, Third Level and Language Schools. We are committed to promoting the benefits of outdoor learning and supporting people’s health and wellbeing.
Activities range from our exciting adventure and team-building options to curriculum-linked workshops and field studies. We are an accredited Science Foundation Ireland Discover Centre with a variety of workshops approved under the DPSM programme.
We are recruiting an enthusiastic, motivated and dynamic individual to manage the school programme. The candidate should have excellent knowledge and professional experience of Ireland’s education system with a passion for the outdoors, environment and STE(A)M learning. This is a rare opportunity to be at the forefront of one of Ireland’s leading education and activity centres. It involves the research, design, delivery, outreach, marketing, evaluation, staffing, budgeting and reporting of the programme.
- Manage daily operation and organisation of the school programme and staffing
- Continuous improvement and progress on existing programmes and education strategy
- Identify and pursue new opportunities in promoting (outdoor) learning across a variety of audiences
- Identify outreach and other learning related revenue-generating opportunities including funding streams
- Keep abreast of trends and developments in Irish education curricula, outdoor learning, environment and adventure tourism
- Explore opportunities to develop teacher CPD workshops and summer courses
- Record, monitor and report on programme progress
- Collaborate with General Manager and others on the marketing and promotion of the programme
- Liaise with existing partners and stakeholders, fostering new relationships to progress sales
- Maintain and grow contact database and networks
- Recruitment, training and mentoring of staff to deliver programme
- Preparation of staff rosters for school groups with other team members
- Coordination of work placement students
- Work with other staff to develop and coordinate seasonal events, camps etc.
- Creation of welcoming and suitable environment for visiting groups
- Promote environmental action plan/sustainability of operations
- Ensure compliance with Children First Act and Safeguarding of all staff
- Implementation of Health & Safety requirements and completion of risk assessments
- Monitor and act on relevant complaints and incident reports
- Proactively seeks Continuous Professional Development
- Collaboration with other management staff to plan, coordinate and review Park activities, events, programmes, procedures and policies.
Qualifications & Experience
- 3rd level qualification in outdoor education, teaching & learning, environmental science or similar
- Demonstrated experience in developing and delivering outdoor learning and STE(A)M related workshops to groups.
- Access to own transport with full, clean driving licence.
Desirable, not essential:
- People Management experience
- REC3 First Aid or similar
- Safeguarding 1,2,3
- CARA Disability Inclusion Training
- Leave No Trace
- Demonstrated ability to work on own initiative and assume responsibility
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Leadership skills with capacity to inspire and motivate learners and staff
- Strong organisational and effective group management skills
- Project management skills with ability to multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral & written) skills
- Ability to analyse, synthesise and summarize data
- Excellent research and reporting skills
- Ability to network and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders
- Engaging group facilitation skills
- Innovative problem-solving capabilities
- High level of proficiency with technology particularly Microsoft Office Suite
- Competency with the Irish language an advantage but not essential
The role is subject to Garda Vetting.
The post will be 39 hours per week rostered over 7 days as required. Occasional evening and bank holiday work required.
Both posts are subject to POBAL requirements