Secondary School Tours at Ireland’s Top Activity Provider
As the end of the academic year approaches we are busy booking in Secondary School groups for their end of year bonding trips and academic field study trips. This is just a quick email to update you with our current activity options for the remainder of the 2021/2022 academic year.
For our Half Day (10am to 12.30pm) package we would suggest to pick one option or
Full day (10am to 3.30pm) packages we would suggest to pick two option from the packages below (A-E for adventure days or, A-H for Education and Adventure days). This leaves an hour for lunch for the group also.
Groups should arrive at 9.30 to register, use toilet facilities etc., with activities beginning at 10am.
Outlined below are the options you can choose from to build a package to suit your group:
A. Zipline & Octagon Course -120 minutes.
Use your balance and agility to navigate 28 obstacles at 3m and 7m high before taking on Ireland’s longest zipline. (€20pp)
B. Catapult Building – 120 minutes.
Build a working Catapult using ropes, poles, communication, problem solving and teamwork. (€15pp)
C. Archery & Team Challenges – 120 minutes.
One of our ultimate Challenge combos – build a group dynamic with a series of Archery Target games and exciting team challenges (physical & mental problem-solving). (€15pp)
D. Archery & Kayaking/Canoeing – 120 minutes
Taking on a combination of land and water activities – your group will need to focus on team work to complete a series of Archery Target Games and master navigating our lake. (€20pp)
E. Kayaking/Canoeing & Team Challenge – 120 minutes
Master navigating our lake before taking part in our exciting team challenges. (€20pp)
*Limited availability left for March, April and May.
F. Ecology Field Study (€15 per person, 90-120 mins)
Habitat study of the diverse plant and animal life in our woodland ecosystem using a selection of sampling techniques and methods (quadrat surveys, line transect survey, small mammal capture & release, invertebrate capture and identification, food chains etc.).
G. Woodland Maths Trail and Archery (€15 per person, 2 hours)
Follow our maths trail to solve a range of problem-solving challenges in a small team. Practice target skills and teamwork with an Archery session. Swap Archery for Axe-Throwing for an additional €5 per person.
H. Community Enterprise Case-Study (€10 per person, 120 mins)
Case study on the development, organisational structure, employment and management of Castlecomer Discovery Park as a Social-Community Enterprise. Delivered in two parts – a guided walking tour of the site and a sit-down interactive talk with student work booklet.
I. Orienteering is available as an add-on activity (€3pp, 60-90 mins)
We advise all students and teachers to bring a packed lunch. The café in the main Visitor Centre is privately operated with independent opening hours (currently closed on Mondays and Tuesdays). If you wish to have lunch here please contact the café separately to arrange. You must let us know in advance if your school will purchase lunch in the café. We will let you know the planned lunch time and duration in your activity itinerary.
Booking Terms and Conditions
- Minimum group discount is for 20 students.
- Reservations will be held for a maximum of 7 days. You must contact us within 7 days to confirm/cancel your booking otherwise we will release the spaces to another group.
- Once a booking is confirmed, the teacher/school must submit final student numbers to us at least 7 days before the booking date otherwise we assume the number booked as the final amount.
- Teachers must accompany students at all times.
- Large groups may be split into smaller groups for activities. We will advise you in advance how many groups there will be. Teachers must provide a list of student names per group upon arrival and are responsible for ensuring students remain in their assigned group throughout the day.
- Schools will be required to complete a Group Acknowledgement of Risk Form and a Group Covid-19 Declaration Form prior to arrival at Castlecomer Discovery Park.
- All students and teachers are requested to bring their own pocket hand-sanitiser and will be asked to sanitise prior to handling equipment. Face masks must be worn in all indoor spaces and whilst safety equipment is being fitted.
- All visitors must wear sturdy footwear and bring a raincoat as activities operate regardless of rain.
- If you arrive late, we may not be able to accommodate your group on your chosen activities as we may have another group booked afterwards and it would not be fair to delay their start time. If you are running late, please call us ASAP with a revised arrival time.